Aotearoa NZ is a bicultural nation and our school communities are becoming much more diverse and multicultural. This course will explore how our school communities might better reflect our bicultural heritage and give mana to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We will also share ways in which our pedagogy and practice in future focused schools, as well as our relationships with students, whānau and iwi/hapū, can support the engagement and achievement of all students.
Course participants will be able to:
- Evaluate your current practices and pedagogy.
- Explore and implement practical ways in which your school might better reflect the bicultural heritage of Aotearoa.
- Empower Māori students to achieve educational success ‘as Māori’.
- Meaningfully engage with and create partnerships with students, whānau, iwi/hapū and the wider community.
- Implement strategies into practice that will give mana to the Treaty of Waitangi.
- Integrate more culturally responsive practices.
Who is this for
Leaders and teachers in English Medium Schools who are seeking to improve their bicultural and culturally responsive practices, give mana to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and better engage with students, whānau and iwi/hapū.
20 week course divided into five modules (4 weeks per module).
Module 1: Ko wai tātou? / Who are we?
Learning about, defining and sharing our own culture as teachers/leaders and as a school community.
Module 2: Ko Aotearoa tēnei / This is Aotearoa
Defining Culturally Responsive Practice. Exploring the bicultural essence of Aotearoa, New Zealand, and how school communities can reflect and enhance our bicultural heritage.
Module 3: Te eke angitu a te Māori / Māori success
Exploring how schools define and celebrate success. Defining ‘Māori Achieving Success as Māori’ and exploring opportunities for enhancing and growing Māori success for Māori students and their whānau.
Module 4: He whānau kotahi tātou / We are all whānau
Exploring effective engagement strategies for students, whānau and iwi/hapū.
Module 5: Whakamanahia Te Tiriti o Waitangi / Give mana to the Treaty of Waitangi
Exploring how school communities can give mana to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and the relationship between Te Tiriti o Waitangi and future focused pedagogy and schools.